The Next Generation of UEFI BIOS
Aptio® V is the “next generation of UEFI BIOS”, featuring support for the latest UEFI specifications, such as Secure Boot for enhanced platform security and EDK II support, together with all of the previous experience, value-adds and improvements of Aptio® 4 and AMIBIOS®. Support for the latest UEFI specifications also means that Aptio V is fully ready to support Microsoft® Windows™ 8 and the key security and pre-boot optimizations featured in the next-generation version of the operating system - making it the most powerful development solution available in the market today.
Aptio V is the pinnacle of a strong legacy of innovation, both inside the BIOS itself and from related areas within AMI. AMI brings its legacy of over 25 years as a leading BIOS vendor, installed in a large number of desktop, notebook, Ultrabook™, server and mobile systems worldwide, to the creation of this BIOS. Additionally, AMI’s related expertise in server and remote management, system utilities, network storage solutions and mobile application development strongly informs its BIOS development. Notably, AMI is the only BIOS vendor to offer a complete array of end-to-end products to support the entire computing infrastructure.
Key Aptio Features:
- Full UEFI 2.3.1 and EDK II Support
- Ready for Microsoft® Windows™ 8
- Multi-platform support - can be used with both x86 and non-x86 systems, as well as in both Windows™ and Linux™ environments, to open up a wide range of new possibilities
- NIST SP 800-147 Secure Flash enabled
- Full touch screen support for the BIOS
- AMI Text Setup Environment (TSE), provides advanced UEFI functionality with a familiar BIOS interface
- Graphical Text Setup Environment (GTSE) provides an updated look to text based setup
- Graphical Setup Environment (GSE) provides a completely graphical and customizable setup designed for touch
Continuity and Stability
Like Aptio 4 before it, Aptio V has a common core and a high degree of modularity. It makes use of eModules to speed up development time and make projects more manageable. Aptio V also introduces several improvements over EDK II and has been designed to make the transition from EDK, EDK II and Aptio 4 as smooth and easy as possible, with little overhead.
The Aptio V user experience keeps everything that users have come to love about Aptio, and takes it a step further. Setup retains the same options that existed in Aptio 4, with Text, Graphical/Text, and full Graphical setup with touch support and Windows 8-style interface. AMI is currently developing a new markup language for the customization of UI pages in Aptio V which will leverage these options even further. All diagnostic and debug capabilities from Aptio 4 – including AMI Diag® for UEFI, AMI Debug™ Rx and more - carry over seamlessly to Aptio V. To ensure AMI's commitment to an easy transition to Aptio V, AMI has a carefully designed transition plan to help customers ease into Aptio V from Aptio 4 or other BIOS solutions, with a minimum of effort.
Additions to VeB
When used in the Visual eBIOS (VeB) development environment, Aptio V also includes full support for EDK II, new wizards to manage EDK II data and a “Module Explorer” enhanced for EDK II packages. VeB for Aptio V also features user-friendly graphical wizards to help create and modify project settings to further ease development tasks, as well as multiple source control integration, multiple OS support and cross-platform support for x86, x64 and ARM systems.
Aptio can be expanded using a variety of drivers, development tools, support utilities and pre-boot application solutions:
Aptio V Development Applications:
- Visual eBIOS (VeB)
- AMI Debug™ for UEFI
- AMI Debug™ Rx
Aptio V Support Utilities:
The Aptio V support ecosystem also keeps the great utilities that developers have come to know and love, to speed customization and time-to-market (TTM):
- AMI Flash Utility (AFU) Suite
- Change Logo Utility - OEM splash logo management
- AMI BIOS Configuration Program (AMIBCP) - Change setup paramaters and strings in Aptio ROM images
- MMTool - Manage modules, drivers and Option ROMs in Aptio ROM images
- DMIEdit - SMBIOS data management
- AMISDE - Command line tool for exporting setup date from an Aptio ROM image
- AMISLP - Enables the insertion of Microsoft System Locked Pre-Installation (SLP) key files into the BIOS image
- AMISCE - Command line tool for simple update of NVRAM variables
- AMIUCP - Tool for customization and pre-configuration of Aptio Flash Utility (AFU)
- AMIDiag for UEFI (product description)
- Unified EFI Forum - uefi.org
- UEFI Primer @ uefi.org
- Archive of UEFI/EFI Presentations @ intel.com
Windows is a registered trademark of Microsoft Corporation in the US and other countries. Ultrabook is a trademark of Intel Corporation. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.